Efficiency needs of technical maintenance in companies: how to create a CMMS software?
Thursday 24 march 2022
How to set up a CMMS? How to create a CMMS software? An overview of a revolutionary computer solution.
Why create a CMMS software for the maintenance of company services?
The implementation of a CMMS software within your company's departments has significant advantages. CMMS is an excellent planning and organization tool dedicated to the maintenance of the various departments in your business:
- traceability of all interventions
- time saving in terms of organization and efficiency
- easier communication between departments
- sharing of technical knowledge
- long-term analysis of activity and productivity
- a controlled activity with KPI indicators giving the preventive and corrective actions to be implemented
- precise cost optimization and control
Creating a CMMS software: the importance of specifications
Before creating a CMMS software, certain criteria must be taken into account, including the establishment of specifications.
What are the specifications for the creation of a CMMS software?
The specifications are characterized by a document defining very precisely all the functionalities required for your CMMS project. You need to determine the right functionalities to guarantee a future optimization of all your production processes. The specifications will meet the needs of potential users. What should be the content of a specification?
How to create a CMMS software: ask yourself the right questions
To create and implement a maintenance management tool, ask yourself the following questions:
- Who needs CMMS software and for what expected result?
- What features will be useful?
- Analyze with the teams the needs of future users
- Establish a rigorous drafting of the specifications.
- Exchange with other CMMS software users
- Consider training on CMMS for all potential users
How to create a CMMS software ? The use of the Excel software tool
How to create a CMMS software ? The Excel computer tool can answer your request. Generally speaking, users have a good command of this tool. Numerous tutorials are available to deepen your knowledge.
How to create a CMMS software ? The different functionalities of Excel
It is possible to use Excel to set up a management of the maintenance of your services and equipments in company. Various functionalities exist:
- the planning of the interventions of each technician
- the creation of lists of equipment and operators
- the creation of dashboards including information and data
- cross-referencing of all data and information
How to create a CMMS software? The limited performance of the Excel tool
If Excel can replace an efficient CMMS solution, this tool quickly shows its limits:
- The use of this tool remains time consuming: no action is automatic leading to a loss of productivity
- The traceability of the data on the interventions carried out on the equipment remains less reliable
- The manual entry of information and data increases the risk of errors
- This computer tool is not adapted to the management of team movements in the field
The use of a real computer-assisted maintenance management software seems essential for an optimal control of operations.
To find out more about the use of CMMS software, consult our following pages:
Back to the articles