Facility Management in a nutshell
Monday 23 march 2020
The short and long history of Facility Management
Facility Management: services divided into two categories
The FM Multitechnic
Multi-technical means the maintenance of buildings and technical installations.
In order to operate, a company needs premises and equipment that are essential for their operation and their maintenance in operational condition. They must comply with legal standards and regulatory controls: the safety and well-being of employees must be guaranteed.
Preventive and curative maintenance of installations is carried out through a wide range of actions including :
- Site access management: automatic gates, barriers, etc.
- Elevator management
- Management of heating, ventilation, air conditioning, air conditioning, etc.
- Fire detection and safety
- The routing of networks and backup networks
- Regulatory controls, management of safety audits
- Compliance with environmental standards
- Energy and fluid management: low, medium and high voltage electricity, wind, solar, gas, fuel oil, water, etc.
- Works management
- Remote surveillance
Management is not limited to the maintenance of the premises but can also take care of the whole "service" part for the company's staff. This is called multi-service facility management.
The FM Multiservice
The second part of Facility Management is Multiservice. This area no longer directly concerns the maintenance of technical assets. It encompasses the management and smooth operation of services offered directly to employees. In this category we will find :
- Site layout
- The cleaning of the premises
- Management of spaces such as partitioning
- Reception and switchboard management
- Mail management
- Management of meeting rooms
- The commissary (financial management of the establishment)
- Archiving management
- Collective catering
- Reprographic services
- Maintenance of green spaces
- Waste management
- Pollutant management
CMMS, an essential tool for Facility Management
The Facility Manager must be versatile and possess a wide range of knowledge and skills. Qualifications concerning the management of working environments, the regulatory framework, maintenance, building maintenance and must be able to draw up a budget and monitor it. He/she must be able to answer questions relating to safety and the environment but also master managerial skills.
Companies also require that he or she must be dynamic, responsible, critical and have good interpersonal skills. Communication with all employees is a key point not to be neglected. A wide range of indispensable skills and competencies requires a gift for ubiquity on the part of the Facility Manager.
A level of demand that can sometimes lead to stress and considerable pressure on the employee, who often finds himself 'on all fronts'.
Versatile, but at what cost?... He or she is still mainly a human being and can very quickly feel overwhelmed by this immense workload and will no longer be able to meet expectations properly.
A CMMS (Computerized Maintenance Management System) solution will be able to bring a precious help by coming to organize and automate a large part of their work.
1. A CMMS for Facility Management
A modern approach to Facility Management is inseparable from the integration of a computer system such as a collaborative Computer Aided Maintenance Management software.
CMMS will give Facility Management specialists the opportunity to provide their company with adapted and immediate support in line with their economic and organizational model and guaranteeing the optimization of the quality/cost ratio. FM's strategy is thus assured. It will be able to reduce costs and improve staff productivity by approaching all aspects of the company.
A complete CMMS, offering all the necessary management functionalities, with fluid ergonomics and an easy-to-use logical workflow, combined with an up-to-date mobile application, will give the Facility Manager and his team access to an exhaustive view to organize and optimize:
- Management of interventions: prioritization, planning, and monitoring of curative and preventive interventions and new works
- Task management: recurring tasks and determination of frequencies: from daily to multi-year, estimation of downtime, organization of replacements, etc.
- Management of sites and associated contacts
- Equipment management: history and monitoring of the heritage base of the equipment at each site.
- Supply management: spare parts ordering and inventory management
- Management of real-time statistics: concerning interventions, task accomplishment, technicians' timesheets, downtime of each equipment, etc.
- Consultation and sharing of information in real-time: access to information during an intervention, collection and enrichment from the field using QR codes, photos, measurements, etc. via the mobile application
By making it possible to analyze the origin and frequency of a problem, CMMS makes it possible to plan proactive preventive maintenance actions or, at the very least, guarantees faster diagnosis in the event of a new occurrence of the incident.
2. The advantages of CMMS in Facility Management
Companies using a CMMS solution will benefit from many advantages, such as :
- Increased reliability and asset life: due to long-term preventive maintenance which will considerably increase the life of the installations
- The optimization of interventions
- Increasing productivity: through planning and monitoring employee availability.
- Decision-making assistance: for the facility manager, the level of transparency due to access to information will allow him to follow up on the actions of his employees, past and future interventions and thus help him in his coordination and decision-making process.
- Better Reporting: CMMS solutions allows you to store any type of data (information about sites, customers, facilities, include photographs or PDF documents, etc.) and to have access to asset tracking and history. It is a unique source of information that will allow you to continually adjust your strategy.
- Improved internal communication: via a CMMS application, the consultation and sharing of information, the entry of a new work request or the follow-up of existing interventions are accessible to all.
- Compliance with legal standards: safety, standards, conformity, the sites, and their installations follow the regulatory certifications thanks to a maintenance management system that allows maintaining the installations in compliance with the legal standards.
Integrating a CMMS solution will, therefore, enable professionals to manage a mass of information and have the knowledge necessary to manage the life cycle of facilities, gaining in efficiency and saving time. In addition, thanks to mobility, Facility Managers can work in the field while remaining informed, responsive and able to manage their teams and subcontractors directly from their application.
Opting for a modern and mobile intelligent CMMS solution for Facility Management is a must to benefit from cost reduction, longer equipment availability and lifespan, increased productivity, improved quality of service to employees, and perfectly controlled budget commitments.
A latest-generation CMMS to open up a new era in Facility Management: it's UNRELENTING!
By the way, our ambition is to offer an unparalleled user experience. Check it out right away: try CMMS for free. Within 2 minutes, the time it takes to create your account, you'll discover what's newest in this category of software.
You can also benefit from a demonstration led by one of our consultants: book a videoconference
Good discovery and see you soon!