A CMMS for repairmen for a better management of maintenance interventions
Thursday 17 march 2022
The CMMS for transport offers modern tools for towing and recovery operations.
The data of the towing and recovery industry
According to data provided by the ANFA (National Agency for Automobile Training), the towing and recovery activity is carried out in France by nearly 6,000 companies. However, the facts are quite different: only 450 specialized breakdown companies actually intervene on damaged or broken down vehicles. The characteristics of the activity consist in identifying the problem, carrying out the breakdown service or towing the vehicle, while ensuring the safety of the intervention. This highly regulated sector of activity employs nearly 2,000 people. Their working conditions are made complex by the multitude and variety of interventions to cover and the necessary mobility required. The management of technical operations is most of the time done in emergency. The relationship with customers in the field is thus made more difficult. It requires good customer support and information skills.
The ADAF (Association des Dépanneurs Automobiles de France) emphasizes the importance of the breakdown and towing field. Indeed, nearly 4 million interventions are carried out each year. Due to the decrease in vehicle maintenance, the breakdown service sector is experiencing a strong increase in activity. The ageing of the vehicle fleet further reinforces this fact. The activity is also a victim of a strong seasonality: it is essentially during the vacations that the increase of activity appears. Climatic conditions (periods of high temperatures leading to overheating of engines) can also impact the workload of the sector.
Information on the regulation of the towing and recovery activity
Recovery professionals are also subject to strong constraints in terms of certifications or authorizations.
- The B license (driving a tow truck of less than 3.5 tons) or C license (over 3.5 tons)
- The FIMO (Obligatory Minimum Initial Training). Since 2009, it is mandatory to drive a vehicle of more than 3.5 tons
- The FCO (Mandatory Continuing Education). It allows to update knowledge and to improve driving. It must be renewed every 5 years
- B2XL authorization to repair and tow electric or hybrid vehicles. Since July 2015, according to the NFC18-550 standard, it is specific to the activity and recommended for breakdown services. It is mandatory to check or replace the battery of a heavy vehicle. The electrical authorizations must be renewed every 3 years.
The quality of the towing activity is guaranteed by the following 2 certifications.
- The Qualicert service qualification and its reference system "Breakdown service, towing, guarding and transfer of light vehicles at the end of their life".
- The NF 212 certification " Breakdown service/towing of light vehicles "
The recovery vehicles are subject to an authorization of circulation (white card delivered by the Prefecture). They must meet the following requirements.
- The recovery vehicle must be equipped with lifting and towing elements relative to the weight of the vehicle and must meet specific constraints concerning braking
- It must have visibility equipment such as lights and reflectorized plate for the vehicle and fluorescent clothing with reflective strips for the driver
- It must have signaling equipment and safety extinguishers
Maintenance in the recovery sector requires a powerful management tool
Preventive maintenance activities are numerous in the repair sector. They require upstream planning to achieve an optimized organization of operations and interventions in the field. Maintenance technicians also need to be managed in the field. Indeed, the particularity of maintenance in the repair sector is that it is carried out in a delocalized way. It therefore requires the implementation of mobility solutions.
What is the contribution of a CMMS to a company's repair work?
The specificity of the CMMS for breakdown service is its mobility. The planning of work in the field must be able to be managed remotely by the technicians of the maintenance teams.
A CMMS for breakdown services is therefore essential for breakdown and towing companies. Companies involved in land freight need a CMMS software adapted to the field of transport and breakdown services. The features of Yuman.io's CMMS for transportation allow for optimal management of these maintenance teams.
Feel free to read our article on the aviation industry and CMMS!Back to the articles